Updated: Sep 11, 2020
Growing up in the Midwest, it's a staple food; especially if you spend a great deal of time "up north" in Northern Wisconsin or Minnesota, where this cherished rice is harvest.
Wild Rice has a nutty, earthy taste and its outer shell gives it a delectable crunchiness when appropriately cooked. I've been trying to perfect vegan wild rice soup for these tepid fall days when our bodies long for something warm and soothing. This recipe will not disappoint and what made it even easier was making it in an Instant Pot!
· 5 carrots, chopped (I like to ¼ the carrots so you get a taste of everything in every mouthful)
· 5 stalks of celery, chopped
· Half white onion, chopped
· 3 cloves of garlic, minced
· 1 cup uncooked wild rice
· 2 cups bella mushrooms, chopped
· 4 cups vegetable broth (I like Pacific Organic)
· 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
· 1 tsp+ poultry seasoning
· 1 tsp dried thyme
After it cooks in Instant Pot:
· 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
· Put all ingredients from FIRST list in Instant Pot
· Soup setting is for 30 minutes, set to this
· Release steam when finished cooking
· Add coconut milk afterward
Even better by the next day!
· This is a great soup to make ahead of time because the flavors meld together a day later. Sundays are a great day to make things for the work week and this soup is spot on to have in the fridge as needed.
· I usually add a little more veggie broth as the wild rice gets thicker and reheat on the stove top