For the Crust—
1 recipe of The Best Vegan and Gluten-Free Pie Crust
For the Filling—
4-5 lbs of Apples (obviously the best ones are in season and feel this is a personal preference…I used Lady Alice while I was testing this recipe out)
1 cup (200 g) coconut sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup (40 g) tapioca starch
Up to 3 tbsp vegan butter (I didn’t use, but most apple pies call for it so I’m adding for those of you who think you’ll miss it)
Up to 1 tbsp coconut sugar sprinkled over crust (I used a pinch and this is optional)
· Make your pie crust.
· Peel and slice apples to ½” thickness
· Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
· In a large bowl, add apples, coconut sugar, cinnamon and tapioca starch. Mix together.
· Prepare the bottom crust and then add apples to your pie dish.
· (OPTION) dot the butter on top of the apples.
· Place top crust on and crimp your edges.
· Cut 4 slits into top crush to vent.
· Place a baking pan (with parchment paper) on lower rack in oven to catch pie drippings.
· Place pie in over at 400F for 15 minutes.
· Lower heat to 350F and cook for another 60 minutes (depending on your oven). Slice a knife in the center. No resistance, pie is done. If there’s resistance, cook for another 10 minutes and check again.
· Remove pie from oven.