Swiss Chard Potato Soup
I love swiss chard and tweaked this recipe so you can have a delicious, healthy and ever so filling option for dinner. I leave the skin on the potatoes because...why not (also, potato skin is an excellent source of protein for those of you who worry about your protein intake when eating vegan).
You have the option of omitting the olive oil when sauteing the onions, swiss chard stems and garlic. Saute it in water instead. Then it's fat-free and I highly recommend trying this if you've never done it before. Your liver will thank you!
2 tbsp olive oil **optional or use water
1 sweet onion--finely chopped
3 garlic cloves--minced
1/4-1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 cups red potato (or 2 large)--chopped with skin on
1 large bunch swiss chard (red or rainbow)--stems and ribs chopped, leaves torn to bite-size pieces
4 cups or 1 box of Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth **it's CLEAN no bad ingredients
pinch of salt
1. In a large pot (I use Le Creuset or Staub because of the ceramic coating), heat /water or oil over medium high heat.
2. Saute the onions and swiss chard ribs/stems. Sprinkle with salt and reduce heat slightly. Saute for about 10 minutes until soft.
3. Add the garlic and thyme--stir frequently. Cook 30 seconds to one minute until fragrant.
4. Add the broth and the potatoes.
5. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
6. Add the swiss chard leaves Cover and simmer again for 5-7 minutes.
7. Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy!